The rise of social media in the past decadesSince the inception of the internet to the introduction of the first social media site Six degrees back in 1997 to becoming an indispensable part of marketing for businesses globally, social media has come a long way in the past two decades and how! LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram have become social media magnates, helping build and strengthen personal or professional connections. But that's not the extent of how social media is being utilized. Business of all scale; SME or large are leveraging from what different social media platform has to offer. While almost a decade ago, not many businesses were investing in building their online presence but now not having a social media page for your business, today would be unusual and a significant loss of opportunities. While what was primarily focused on targeting private individuals to share their thoughts and connect with like-minded people, soon began to garner not just private but those of certain business sector. Take, for instance, spurge in the video games with the internet, made video and game developer realize how they can better connect and market their skills and expertise. Similarly, Myspace proliferation became a ground for the fledgling brands to get the producer and big music agencies to notice them and give them a chance to showcase their talents in front of the world.
An example of how social media has evolved for business purpose is, when sensing the pattern, Facebook, which was initially only a student only website opened itself for businesses to attract and engage their target audience. The shift that has been brought into marketing with its unique approach has helped companies better understand their customers and market directly to them via organic marketing.
Such is the evolution of social media into a powerful marketing tool that 90% of businesses in the United States are invested in social media marketing. Speaking of investment, it is expected that social media marketing spending will increase almost 10 billion from what it was in 2014, i.e., 17 billion US dollar in 2019. Considered the second most effective marketing channel, with 63% agreeing to its ability to strengthen the business's relationship with potential and existing customers, social media marketing has changed the entire marketing landscape and its operations. While the foundation of building and strengthening relationship remains the same, the ones being addressed here have changed from individual to target audience. With the technology advancing and escalating usage of smartphone, making social media more accessible it should not come as a surprise that the total number of social media users worldwide, as of 2019 are 3.2 billion.
Do you know how much time is spent on social media daily? Per the Global Web Index 2018 report, a user spends 2 hours 22 minutes on a social media platform. Imagine the opportunities that businesses and brands can take advantage of from the data mentioned above. With social media changing the face of marketing, it is crucial for brands to plan and execute their campaigns through these various channels.
How will internet marketing without social media cost your business?A subset of digital marketing, internet marketing comprises of several components necessary to ensure a brand’s success on online platforms, one of which is social media marketing. With millions of users spending a considerable amount of time on social media, overlooking it would be losing out on the business and profitability, it has the potential to bring. But if you are still fishing for a reason, as to why social media marketing should be made an integral part of the internet marketing campaigns, then take a look at the ways your business will suffer if you do otherwise:
- Gone are the days when social media was only used for advertising the launching of the products. Now, as the platforms are evolving, not investing in social media means losing considerable traffic. Social media has the potential to drive more traffic than your traditional search engines.
- There are no other marketing techniques like social media that lets marketers take control of their brand, improve their social presence by interacting with the consumers, working on improving themselves with their apparent changes. By overlooking social media in your internet marketing campaigns, you would be hindering your growth and the possibility to bolster your position on the internet.
- Can you overlook the fact that despite being one of the most cost-effective techniques, social media has a broader reach, and that's not it. The audience being advertised by your services to are tactfully selected to be the respective field’s easily influenced ad crucial customer base.
How incorporating social media in your internet campaign help your business?
- Incorporating social media in your internet campaigns will make it look less like an ad and more like a story or conversation starter, giving your business a chance to connect with the audience on an emotional level.
- Unlike other marketing techniques, social media has the power to make a brand look less like a salesperson devoid of emotion and more like a person willing to provide them with valuable information.
- Most of the marketing platforms come with the advertisement that interrupts the thought process and perception of the audience about the brand but utilizing social media tunes out these ads and allows marketers to engage the customers in a more relevant manner.
- With social media, businesses can pique interest in consumers by starting a conversation around the brand or the product/services it is offering, thereby attracting new customers and driving revenue.
- Social media is a useful tool for enhancing customer experience, as users have the freedom to share positive/negative feedback, their experiences, their concerns, their suggestions, which a business can pick out from and use effectively to improve their services.
Potent social media strategies for SME and large corporationsOne size fits all approach will never work when devising social media strategies. And just because posting and sharing have been the foundation of it, does not mean that social media entails just that. A robust social media strategies should consist of:
Subscribe to our newsletter
Get fresh stories, case studies, and advice from successful
creators and industry experts.